How To Clean Headlights with Toothpaste and Baking Soda?
Like any other part, headlights are crucial for the safety of you and any passenger. When you are traversing your ways during the nighttime or foggy morning, the headlight of your vehicle must run beam with full brightness.
But over time, they get foggy and dusty. As a result, the light from the headlights also gets warmish, and their color temperature drops. Not to mention, the built-up fog blocks light particles from coming out.
You may be thinking of expensive products to clean your vehicle headlights. But it is possible to do with just toothpaste, baking soda, and vinegar. Are you interested? Let us elaborate on the process.
Advantages of Using Toothpaste and Baking Soda for Headlight Cleaning
Table of Contents
- Advantages of Using Toothpaste and Baking Soda for Headlight Cleaning
- Clean Foggy Headlights
- Clean Highly Built-up Fogginess
- Clean Oxidized Headlights
- How Does Toothpaste Work Against Fogginess and Oxidization?
- What Else Can You Use to Clean Your Headlights?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you are using baking soda or toothpaste, there are multiple benefits that you will be getting.
- While toothpaste may contain a few chemical products, still, they are lower than most cleaners on the market. Baking soda, toothpaste, and such products are totally green and environmentally friendly.
- All these items are cheap and easy to get.
- You won’t have to worry about stains or residues afterward.
Using Toothpaste to Clean Headlights
Literally, anyone can use toothpaste to clean their vehicle headlights as it is totally simple and easy. But you have to make sure that the toothpaste is of the white type and not a gel. Since we all have toothpaste available at our home, it is not hard to get access to either. Follow these easy steps to restore your headlight shininess.
At first, clean your headlights with water. Make sure that the headlights were not warm while cleaning it.
- Take your toothpaste and a used toothbrush. Add the paste into the brush.
- Polish the toothpaste on the headlights in any motion you like unless the whole glass is covered with it.
- Once you have finished doing it, let it be there for a couple of minutes.
- Use a clean and soft towel to wipe them off the lights.
- Use cold water to give the headlights another cleaning.
After these steps, your headlights should be shiny as new.
Using Baking Soda to Clean Headlights
Another excellent cleaner for this cleaning process will be our very favorite, the good old baking soda. The power of lemon baking soda is so wonderful, and you can get rid of many types of messes around your household using it. And they also work on a vehicle headlight. These steps below can save the color from its light.
- For starters, take a mug of warm water.
- Add a few tablespoons of baking soda to it and mix them well. The result should be a bit thick paste.
- Apply the mixture paste on the headlight. Cover the whole glass with it.
- Wait for a few minutes and let the baking soda do break through the fogginess.
- Use clean water to wash the baking soda. Take a soft towel and wipe the headlights.
After the procedure, your vehicle headlights should lose their yellowish color and restore their whiteness.
Clean Foggy Headlights
Fogginess is one of the common issues that headlights can face. If you share this problem, you can simply use the toothpaste technique that we mentioned above. Toothpaste has its abrasive elements, and it can break the fogginess down.
Instead of just letting the paste sit on the headlights, you can also try brushing it on them. It can be necessary when the fogginess built-up is too high. In that case, after brushing for around four minutes, the paste should turn yellowish. Wash it with water at that moment, and voila.
Clean Highly Built-up Fogginess
If the fogginess has been building up for a long time, the above process may not work as desired. In that case, try following these steps-
Necessary Items: Toothpaste, low-density, and high-density sandpapers, Clean Water, Toothbrush/Soft towel.
- Damp the headlight surface and apply toothpaste to it like earlier. Keep it there for five minutes.
- Take the low-density sandpaper. Wet it and scrub on the headlight softly. Make sure to keep it wet all the time.
- Clean the leftover.
- Repeat the sanding process, but use the high-density sandpaper this time.
- Finally, remove the residues with water and wipe with a towel.
Clean Oxidized Headlights
For headlights with a plastic body, it is easy to get oxidized. It is something that happens from debris and UV rays from the sun. If your headlights become oxidized, it feels a bit rougher to the touch. It also looks gloomy and has a tint of yellow color.
Cleaning oxidized headlights can take a bit longer time, and there will be more steps to do. Here is the process-
Necessary Items: Toothpaste, mask tape, car wax, water, soap, and a soft piece of cloth.
- Clean the headlights in the normal way with soap, water, and cloth. Use water to rinse, and let it dry.
- Cover around the headlight with the masking tape.
- Take a clean cloth or toothbrush and apply toothpaste to it. You can add a bit of water to it. Then rub/brush the headlights with it properly and let it sit for five minutes.
- Rinse the headlights with clean water.
- It is optional, but you should apply car wax on the headlights as it can prevent them from oxidization later. Make sure to clean the wax properly with water after a while.
The oxidization can also happen to the interior part of the headlight. In that case, you need to open the headlight and clean the interior the same way as the outer part.
How Does Toothpaste Work Against Fogginess and Oxidization?
Toothpaste contains Sodium Lauryl Sulfate along with many other chemicals. They are the ones that remove the germs, built-up messes, and food left-over from our enamels. By working the same way, the SLS can break both the fogginess and oxidization of your headlights. Some toothpaste also has salt as a material, which adds to their abrasiveness.
How Does Baking Soda Work Here?
There is a material present in most cleaners we get from the shops. That is nothing other than Sodium Bicarbonate, popularly known as Baking Soda, baking soda, and lemon are some of the things cleaner manufacturers use a lot.
Sodium Bicarbonate contains alkali, which can destroy stubborn messes from headlights. Thus, they let the lights bright again.
What Else Can You Use to Clean Your Headlights?
Actually, there are many other items that are usable in the cleaning process of vehicle headlights. Some of them provide higher effectiveness, some lower. Check them out-
- The mixture of baking soda and vinegar, instead of just baking soda.
- Hydrogen Peroxide.
- Automotive polish and glass cleaner.
- Any polish compound kit.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will baking soda clean the headlight lens?
Baking soda can remove the grime from the headlight lens, but it won't necessarily restore its clarity. In most cases, the problem is caused by dirt and debris on the glass lens. In such cases, cleaning the headlight lens can help improve its clarity and visibility.
How do you remove cloudiness from headlights?
There are a few ways to remove the cloudiness from headlights. One is to use a fog-free light. The second is to remove the hood of the car and place the light outside. You can also try removing the headlight cover, or replacing the bulb.
How do you remove the haze from headlights?
This is a common problem for any vehicle owner who drives in the fog, or in areas with poor visibility. In such situations, you should clean the headlights, using a solution like Windex. It’s recommended that you use it when the vehicle is parked, and let it dry overnight.
Will nail polish remover clean headlights?
Nail polish remover is usually formulated with acetone, which is a solvent that can dissolve paint and coatings. As a result, it can be used to remove road grime and other contaminants from your car’s headlight lenses.
But it is not designed to clean the lenses directly, and should only be used for cleaning around the edges of the lenses and the areas where dirt collects.
Can steel wool clean headlights?
Yes, steel wool can be used to clean headlights. It is a fine abrasive material that can easily remove road dust and grime from the headlight lenses. It’s also used for cleaning car interiors.
But steel wool isn’t recommended for cleaning the bulbs themselves, as this could damage them. Instead, you can use toothpaste or a simple homemade solution for that.
Can you use SOS pads to clean headlights?
Yes, you can use SOS pads to clean your car headlights. They can also be used for other purposes like cleaning and polishing metal objects. But they’re more useful for cleaning cars, as they are specifically designed to clean the headlights.
Can you clean headlights with Brillo pads?
You can clean headlights with Brillo pads, but you’ll need to soak them in hot water first. This can be done using a dishwasher or a bucket filled with hot water. Make sure that you don’t leave the headlights soaking for too long, as it can cause the lights to become damaged.
Following the steps we mentioned above should save you from the hassle and cost of replacing your headlights. But if so happens that your headlights still remain haze even after you clean them, you should contact expert helps.
As you complete cleaning your headlights, you should consider waxing them or using headlight covers. Doing so will prevent them from getting damaged by UV-rays or debris. Also, no matter what cleaning item you are using, do not let it sit for too long on the lights. Never use the sandpaper too roughly on the headlights. Hopefully, you don’t have to drive with a hazy headlight ever again.